Volunteer training is mandatory for anyone who wants to volunteer in the BCPS system. You must complete the volunteer application and participate in an orientation/training session annually. At the end of your online training, print your application and training completion certificate and bring them to the front office at Wellwood International. Please then contact the PTA to see what opportunities lie ahead!
Please visit the BCPS volunteer page for more information.
Goals of the BCPS Volunteer Program
- Expand parental involvement and engagement strategies to meet the unique needs of all families in the school communities.
- Acknowledge parents and community members as important partners in the education of all students.
- Strengthen the relationship between schools and parents, guardians and community stakeholders through meaningful service opportunities.
- Support teachers and staff with the implementation of curriculum and school programs.
- Utilize the knowledge and skills of volunteers to promote student achievement.
- Offer direct support to students needing additional assistance with assigned tasks.
- Assist school staff and students with extra-curricular activities, afterschool programs and fundraising opportunities.
- Provide supervision and direction for students while participating in off-campus learning experiences (field trips).
Types of Volunteer Activities
- Classroom Assistant – assisting teachers and students with classrooms activities
- Academic Tutoring
- School PTA Councils
- Area Education Advisory Councils
- Music and Sports Booster Programs
- Field-trip Chaperones
- After School Activities
- Student Mentoring
- Career Awareness – speaking to students about career pathways and opportunities
- Clerical/Office/Library support
The Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP) of Baltimore County has partnered with Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS) to help our youngest learners through their first year in public school. This opportunity is available exclusively for citizens 55 years old and older. (Learn more from a recent blog entry by the RSVP director.) Interested senior citizens can contact RSVP at 410-887-3101 or visit them online at www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/aging/volunteer/rsvp.html.
For additional information about volunteering with Baltimore County Public Schools, please contact The Office of Family & Community Engagement at 443-809-4554 or by email at email@example.com.